I’m starting work on my ark and need to check the measurements.
Waiting till this morning to drive to Doug’s was not the best decision I have ever made. We had four inches of rain by 8:30 and it kept raining until noon. Some of the storms were severe, with lots of lightning and thunder.
There was no electricity at my house this morning, so I spent a little over an hour in the township office before driving up (so I could miss rush hour traffic). During that time I talked with several residents who wanted to know what we are going to do about their flooding problems. This afternoon I talked with a local reporter who had been contacted by another flooded resident – he wanted the township’s point of view.
What can I say? If ever there was an Act of God it is rain – in this case four inches in one night. It can’t soak into the ground that fast, it can’t run off that fast, the creeks, streams, ditches, swales, rivers, culverts – everything – are all beyond capacity. Roads are closed and they are taking people out of their houses in boats in some areas.
But I’m at Doug’s now, and it isn’t quite as bad here. It was raining heavily and visibility was awful on the way up, but at least the roads were open.
Our road crew spent the day cleaning debris away from culverts and drainage tiles to keep the water flowing as much as possible, but you can’t do enough to get rid of that much water. The last time local creeks were out of their banks like they are today was in the early 1970s, according to long-time local residents.
So, time to start constructing the ark. Fortunately I can build it in my back yard and float it out, since our yard is under water too.